This month we were challenged by the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association (CMBA) to write a single blog post about date night… a favorite memory, why it’s important, etc. Below this post are links to the other CMBA Members’ posts. Some really great stuff in here – so please go visit their sites!
With Valentine’s Day coming up, there will be a lot of focus on special romance and date nights in the media. I wanted to share a little bit of my favorite type of date night with you.
My husband is an amazing steak chef. He makes the most delicious steak dinner I’ve ever had (and we’ve enjoyed quite a few). This is a rare treat for us right now, but still my favorite date night.
He will stop at the store on the way home from work and pick up fresh steaks and vegetables. I try to make sure that the kitchen is clean and ready for him. We make sure the children are fed and put to bed first. Then, he will prepare our meal. We will either eat at the table or sitting in our living room where it’s a little more cozy next to the woodstove.
I get the chance to talk with my love and not worry about the children still being under foot. Well, maybe everyone except the teenage boy at this point. He blesses me with a dinner that we both enjoy, and time spent together.
Now, I’ll share a couple of reminders:
– The world will not end because you cannot be reached by phone, email, text message, facebook, twitter, or other means. Your beloved deserves your undivided attention.
– Leave the TV, movies, and news off. Now, this is a little different if you are going out for a movie.
– Prepare your children for this time alone. Let them know that you love them, but this is “Mommy and Daddy time”. We have a rule in our house about times like this. “If you (or any of your siblings) are not bleeding, barfing, or not breathing, then you may not interrupt our time.”
– Bless each other! Date nights don’t have to be all about sex. Enjoy each other’s presence and company with no expectations.
– On the other hand, there are times that scheduling/planning sex after a date can be amazing! So much the better if it naturally leads there even when there were no previous expectations.
Date nights are about carving out time from our overwhelmed schedules to foster intimacy in our marriage. What are some other suggestions for date nights or reminders that you might like to share?
Fellow CMBA Members’ Posts:
Enhancing The Dance